Thursday, May 16, 2013

Baking...Always a Necessity!

I make it fully known that I have a hard time letting my kids "help me". I am learning. I love baking, which makes it that much harder to let my kids help me when I do. My perfectionism (yes, pick yourself up off the floor), is at its PEAK when I bake. Its my comfort, my love, and a way that both helps me think, and helps me escape. Its therapy! Good for my brain, bad for my waistline. 

I started planning SEPARATE baking projects for my kids. This day we decided to bake banana bread. We had a few rotting bananas ( Keeping it real, people...they were brown), and they needed a good home. My girls really did well, even Gloria sat and stayed with me through the entire process. I love baking b/c it applies so many learning tasks in one. Math, science, reading, and emphasizes things like task completion, following directions and taking turns. All things my kids really struggle with! It was fun all around. We then ate this banana bread during afternoon Tea Time ( post on this coming soon)!








3 comments:

  1. Baking really does let them learn so much. I always chuckle that some think of a homeschooling mom baking with her kids as a waste of time not spent schooling, but if a school did a "special project" of baking something, it would be hailed as so innovative, such a hands-on way of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when "Home Ec" was an elective in middle school...what happened to that? I think it is so beneficial for them to be able to eat what they made and visibly (and tangibly ) see their efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very hard time letting my kids help me in the kitchen too. It totally stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete