Monday, May 6, 2013

The Narrow Road

These words from St. John of the Cross resonate deep within my soul. SO much so, that I have now pasted them on the inside cover of my journal ( or at least have typed it, printed it, cut it, but could not find a glue stick). The words in capital letters are  " USE THE CROSS". I have been thinking about this lately. How do I use the cross? How do you interpret these words in your own life?  I have been seeking guidance from the Lord on several matters regarding the future of my family. Where is the Lord asking us to go? Am I allowing my emotions or feelings about what I want to influence my decisions?
I posted a while back about God helping me to detach from our material possessions  I saw this quote from St. John a while ago, but its only now hit home. I believe what St. John is alluding to is not just material possessions though. I believe he is pointing to ANYTHING that takes us away from the holy will of God. ( thanks dear friend for that amazing thought last week). Said friend also brought something to my mind that had not really occurred to me on this level! We can form attachments to things even if they are good things. By seeking out only God's will in my life, I am realizing my serious attachment to things. Even worse is my attachment to people and events in the hopes of seeing these good people. Again, even these things, which are seemingly good, can be attachments. I WAS BLOWN away by my friends words. I had known that I could be a bit of a stalker to people I really admire, and seek counsel from. (shh!..it could be you) I find myself reading all the things they post on Facebook, or emails they write, or even to the point of being upset/put out that I WASN'T invited to some event ( crazy? yes...but true) My only attachment should be to the HOLY WILL OF GOD. St. John's words continue to reach me..."the road is narrow". HOW TRUE IS THAT?!?! I believe the road is narrow for all those seeking His will in their lives. Not many do that. I am eternally grateful for the Catholic faith, and its tremendous gift of Adoration. This time alone spent with the Lord every week is single-handily the most important time of my week. It has made an immense difference in my ability to "use the cross", and "suffer willingly for the Lord". It does make my road more "easily traveled", as I can rest in the confidence of my Lord's guidance. I notice, usually within a few days, when I am not taking time out of my day for prayer. When I miss Adoration, I FEEL it...the "walking alone" is tangible. I believe this is God's way of calling me back to Him. At my First Saturday meeting ( monthly meeting for all family with sons/daughters/spouses in Cenacolo), we were reflecting on whether we were working on changing the behaviors that contributed to our family entering "Community" by taking it to prayer and Adoration or by decision and will. I was struck by this as well. I often find that I rely to heavily on my on HUMAN self to make the changes needed. Even with Adoration, I forget that I can not do it alone. My road is "more easily" traveled when I rely simply on the Lord. My decision and will I think are part of it, but it can only come to fruition and fulfillment through the grace of the Holy Spirit! I am keenly aware, also, that the only way my family can heal is by walking the narrow road. We are walking in a place most will not, can not, or do not know to go. I might be naive to think that most people really will do everything they can, given there state in life and tools they are equipped with, to save their marriage and families. OK, I might be very naive, but I do think most people are not equipped with the beauty of trust in the Lord. Even though the road is narrow, Jesus walked it also. He made the path that is now called the narrow road. Without Him, my family would be lost.

What are your thoughts? Any experiences you want to share? Does this quote from St. John of the Cross move you in any way? I'd love to hear!




1 comment:

  1. This is all so beautiful and true, Claire. I'm going to think about "using the cross."

    ReplyDelete